Friday, June 24, 2011

...just give them bread and water

We have a group of people who faithfully show up at our office every Wednesday morning to worship together and pray for our city. This week we were singing a song called "Hungry" and the chorus line is, "we are hungry, oh Jesus, we are hungry for more of you; we are thirsty, oh Jesus, we are thirsty for more of you. During the song I had a vision/image/impression whatever you want to call it, and in the vision I could see moms and dads, who I believe represented the shepherds of this city, standing with big bowls full of colorfully wrapped candy handing it out to kids that were running up to them hungry and eager to eat whatever was in the bowl. The shepherds were excited that they were drawing so many children and not so concerned about what they were feeding them. There were also kids waiting in lines for drinks and the shepherds were giving them pop. As I am having this vision I keep hearing the words, "bread and water, just give them bread and water."

The way I understand this vision is pretty simple. As shepherds (spiritual moms and dads) are we giving our kids what they want, or are we giving our kids what they need? Am I more concerned about attracting more kids than I am about making sure that I nurture and feed those who are truly hungry? Am I willing to take the time and go through the preparations of providing the nourishment of bread, or am I settling to grab something quick and easy that has been made for me? However you find yourself interpreting this vision and answering these questions may we all be encouraged to...just give them bread and water!

Then Jesus declared, "I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty." John 6:35

No comments:

Post a Comment