Thursday, June 9, 2011

Closets

My "life philosophy" as it relates to closets is one that I share when someone is in a messy place in life. You know what I mean. We all have situations in life that are a little hairy and we may be unsure how to get to the nitty gritty and make things right again.
My old clothes closet was actually the hall closet, most likely there for hanging coats and not very big. It was unbelievable how much I could cram in that little closet. All four seasons of clothes, pajamas, undergarments, boxes of old pictures and even presents I needed to hide from the kids. I had to go through it often to find things I needed and would often find things I had forgotten I had.
One day as I was in a messy place in life and also cleaning out my closet, I realized life can be much like a closet. We cram so much into all the corners of our hearts, we fill our minds with worry, we complicate relationships, fill our time with "busyness" and so on. And eventually everything begins to come tumbling down if we even crack the door.
So sometimes we have to take time to turn the mess in our closet into a bigger mess in the hall so we can reorganize and tidy the closet again. And in life we need to take time to reorganize. Look at the "busyness" we have created, the the things that are weighing us down, the relationships that need our attention, and anything else that has us captivated and most likely is taking away from our daily intimacy with God. It may have to become a bigger mess before it gets better but if we continue to cram, the mountain is going to come down and we will be buried somewhere underneath.
God does not want us living a life crammed so full that our light has no place to shine through and no room for Him.
I challenge you today to take a look at your closet of life and make the necessary mess!

No comments:

Post a Comment